Phase One Guidelines
We have entered Phase One of Reopening as of 5.15.20 as Outlined by the Office of the Governor of Virginia.
We are excited to inform you that as of May 15, 2020 we have re-opened at Philip Carter Winery. It is very important to us that our staff and customers feel safe and welcome to visit us during this time. Due to this, we have made some new changes to adhere to the standards and guidelines set forth for wineries in Phase One of the Forward Virginia Plan.
Open Friday – Sunday For Limited Onsite Sales, To-Go Sales, Curbside Pickup, Wine Club Pickups, Shipping, and Delivery.
No Reservation Required at this time!
No Reservation Required at this time!
Fridays: 12 pm – 4 pm
Saturdays: 12 pm – 6 pm
Sundays: 12 pm – 5 pm
Things to Know if Visiting:
- When you arrive we ask that you check-in at the Sales Window (along the sidewalk path) prior to choosing a table so we may welcome you and give you a rundown of how we are working to keep you and others safe.
- Purchases for Onsite Enjoyment:
- Purchases for onsite consumption will only be permitted for enjoyment in our outdoor areas only, rain or shine. Indoor seating is not available at this time per VA Phase One guidelines.
- Wine by both the bottle and glass will be available for purchase. All glass purchases will be served in disposable plastic cups at this time. If desired, souvenir wine glasses will be available for purchase for an additional $2 for you to enjoy and take home with you.
- At this time we will not be doing any tastings.
- We are offering Live Virtual tastings every other Friday via Facebook Live and offer discounted Virtual tasting bundles for those who would like to participate.
- Outdoor Seating:
- Only outdoor seating will be available at this time, no exceptions.
- Due to the size of our property we are not requiring reservations for our outdoor seating tables at this time, this may be subject to change.
- We will not be permitting groups of 10 or more on property at this time.
- 6ft social distancing is still required in all areas on property. Available tables and chairs will be spaced out on the property to maintain this requirement. Guests may not move or relocate any furniture on property.
- Guests are welcome to sit at any of the outdoor furniture provided or bring their own. We have a limited number of tables available on the property so guests are welcome to bring their own seating or picnic blankets as long as they do not set them up within 10 ft of any other table or customer. Philip Carter picnic blankets will also be available for purchase at the sales window.
- Dogs: We are Dog friendly for friendly dogs, outdoors leashed, and supervised at all times.
- Food: Guests are welcome to bring outside food to enjoy on property.
- No Outside Alcohol: In accordance with ABC law, outside alcohol is not permitted, and guests who appear intoxicated will be refused service. Wine tastings are not available at this time.
- For questions or details on bad weather options for onsite enjoyment please contact us directly via email or phone.
- To-Go Sales:
- Guests are still welcome and encouraged to purchase bottles to-go. We offer both in-person sales and Curbside pick-up for all to-go orders. Orders can be placed ahead of time by going to shop.pcwinery.com and selecting “Tasting Room Pick-up” or “Curbside Pick-up” under the shipping options at checkout.
- For Curbside orders please call the winery when you arrive and have your order information pulled up so we can verify your purchase.
- Guests are required to wear face masks and recommend gloves while interacting with staff, entering, exiting, or otherwise traveling about the property and indoor spaces. Face coverings are not required while seated at your table.
- All staff will be wearing masks and gloves as well as washing their hands frequently throughout the day.
- Guests are required to maintain a minimum of 6′ social distancing from other guests outside of their group and with employees. Guests may not congregate in groups of more than 10 guests. Guests in violation of this policy will be asked to leave.
- Guests will be permitted inside the building only to use the restrooms, purchase merchandise, or to place a to-go order when it is raining. Customers will need to bring their own gloves and masks to wear when indoors. The maximum number of guests permitted inside the building at any time is 10.
- Please refrain from extraneous touching of surfaces during your visit, including merchandise you do not plan to purchase.
- Staff will be sanitizing/cleaning all surfaces and bathrooms frequently and between guests.
- Guests are asked to minimize staff exposure by ensuring all their trash is appropriately disposed of in our trash cans and empty wine bottles placed in the recycling boxes.
For the safety of our staff and other guests, please do not visit if you have experienced a fever or any symptoms of COVID-19, or have known exposure to a COVID-19 case in the prior 14 days.
All guests are asked to follow the guidelines and restrictions of the county, city, or state in which they reside. If you live in an area that has not been cleared to enter Phase One or similar, we ask that you do not visit at this time.
If either of these applies to you, please consider taking advantage of our free shipping and online deals instead, more info below.
Announcing our Brand New Membership Opportunity!
The Adopt-A-Vine Program
Adopt an entire row of Philip Carter Grapevines
This brand new program lets you symbolically adopt an entire row of Philip Carter grapevines for a period of 10 years for a one-time adoption fee of $250.
With this program, you’ll be able to watch the growing process of your adopted vines, get hands-on opportunities to learn from the Winemaker and Vineyard Manager, receive a bounty of benefits along the way, and also receive opportunities to participate in harvesting grapes from your row.
This truly is an ideal gift for wine lovers! This new program is an immersive and unique gift that is great for you or someone you know who enjoys good wine and wants to learn more about the vine-to-wine process. Impress your friends with your new-found knowledge of how we turn the grapes into wine.
- Choose Your Row: Upon adoption, you will receive an email to choose your preferred grape varietal and row.
- Appear on Our Website: Your name will be listed right here on our website next to your adopted row to let everyone know it’s yours.
- Personalized Plaque: Once selected, a customized plaque will be made with your desired personalized message to be displayed on the post at the top of your adopted row. Maybe you wish to celebrate a company/firm milestone, a college graduate, a marriage proposal, or an important birthday!
- Quarterly Updates: Receive quarterly vineyard update emails from our Winemaker or Vineyard Manager so you can stay up to date on what is happening in the vineyard.
- Hands-On Experiences: When the time comes, you will receive opportunities to assist in caring for your adopted row. This includes invitations to learn how to and assist in pruning and harvesting your row.
- Complimentary Tastings: Receive two complimentary tastings each time you visit.
- Tickets to our Harvest Festival: You’ll get two complimentary tickets to our Annual Harvest Festival in November.
- Discounts: 15% discount* on wine and select gift shop items. Enjoy this discount both in our tasting room and our online wine shop. (*Discount may not be combined with any other discounts. Highest percentage discount to which you are entitled will be honored.)
To learn more about the program or to Join the Adopt-A-Vine Program click this button.
Buy Online – Free Shipping
Shop our online storefront and get free shipping on 3 bottles or more with regular volume discounts!
To help keep your cellar stocked we are offering free shipping for any purchase of 3 bottles or more. But that’s not all, in addition, we are making an exception to our normal rule and allowing you to combine this with our normal volume and club discounts.
3+ Bottles: 5% off
6+ Bottles: 10% off
12+ Bottles: 15% off
Shipping may not available to all states. Discounts apply automatically at check out. If you are a club member you must log in to your account to receive club discounts.
Join our Ambassador Wine Club to get 20% off Bottles and 50% off Cases of Wine Today and Every Day! More Info Here.
Buy a Gift Card Now to use Later & get 20% extra dollars!
Right now we are offering a special on gift card purchases. If you buy a “Future Gift Card” now you will get a bonus 20% added on to your card value after September 1, 2020. The card can be used (anytime after September 1st) for instore and online purchases.
Once purchased, gift card redemption code and information will be emailed to the purchaser. Gift card code may be used in-house or in our online store.
To take advantage of Curbside Pick-up, you can either purchase your wine ahead of time on our website* or call 540.364.1203 to place your order. Then when you arrive, let us know you are here and we will bring your order out to your car.
*If ordering on our website, please select “Curbside Pick-up” under the shipping options at checkout.
Free Delivery to Your Door!
For Residents of Select Counties
We are now offering Free Delivery to select counties with the purchases of 6 or more bottles. If you live in one of the following counties we will drive your order directly to you.
Prince William County
Central VA Area
City of Richmond
(Valid ID of 21 years of age or more required)
Virtual Tasting Event #3
Friday, May 15th at 6:00 pm on Facebook Live
Join Philip Carter Strother, PCW Owner, and Tony McDonnell, PCW Winemaker, as they taste our next 3 wines in our 3rd Virtual Tasting Event and answer questions live on Facebook.
2019 Sabine Hall Viognier
2017 Sweet Danielle
Want to Taste With Us?
We are offering a bundle deal on these 3 wines so you can taste along with us from the comforts of your home. Get the bundle for 20% off with Free Shipping.
Retail Value: $94.00
20% Discount: $75.20
Buy it online or stop by Friday – Sunday, 12 pm – 4 pm to get your bundle. If you would like to have your bundle shipped to you, your order must be placed by end of day Monday, May 11th to receive it in time to participate.
We are Remaining Open
On March 17th, Virginia’s Governor Northam announced that non-essential gatherings should be limited to 10 or less people. Bars and restaurants in Virginia could remain open but limit service to 10 or less people at a time to aid in the social distancing efforts. At Philip Carter Winery, we are taking this seriously as are many wineries in our area.
Here at Philip Carter Winery, we are a smaller venue with lots of open spaces for you to enjoy your experience while continuing to “social distance.” Due to this, we have decided to stay open with our normal tasting room hours this weekend. We are continuing to follow the guidelines of the CDC as well as taking our own extra precautions to keep you safe. This includes increased sanitation and safety protocols for our guests and our staff.
- We will continue doing tastings this weekend at our tasting bars. However, we will be limiting tastings to no more than 10 people at any given time.
- Additionally, we will be using disposable glassware during our tastings or offering guests the option to purchase a souvenir wine glass to enjoy your tasting in and then take home with you.
- The tasting bar will fill on a first-come, first-serve basis for tastings. No reservations are required but to help us ensure we are properly staffed, we would love to know if you plan to visit us during this time. You can send us an email or text us at 540.277.9494 to let us know.
- Onsite Enjoyment:
- Glass and bottle purchases for enjoyment on property will continue. We are reducing the number of tables in the tasting room to increase social distancing and we have lots of outdoor space to enjoy your wine as well.
- We will encourage guests to enjoy their wines outside, weather permitting. Take a stroll through our vineyards, grab a picnic table, or bring a blanket and have a picnic to enjoy the fresh air. Picnics, Kids, and Dogs Welcome!
- If you made a tour reservation for this weekend, we will still be doing tours! We have reduced the number of people we can accommodate on our tours from 10 people to 6 people.
- Soup Lunches Canceled:
- As many of you know we have been doing soup lunches on the weekends. In order to allow us to put more effort into social distancing and keeping our guests safe, we will not be offering our soup lunch specials this weekend. We will still be offering our cheese and sausage baskets for your snaking needs.
- Curbside Pick-up:
- This weekend we will be offering curbside pickup. You can either purchase your wine ahead of time on our website and select pick up at the tasting room at checkout or call your order in and we will bring your order out to you when you arrive. The phone number is 540.364.1203.
To see other steps we are taking to help reduce the spread of Covid-19, you can refer to our previous e-blast sent last week here.
E-Blast sent on 3.13.2020:
We Are Open and Committed to Keeping you Safe
We at Philip Carter Winery know that this is a challenging and uncertain time in the world. As the global efforts to combat COVID-19 are taking place, we at Philip Carter Winery are working to do our part and monitoring the status of things via local, state, and federal sources and will continue to take the appropriate actions as needed.
At this time, Philip Carter Winery will be open for business with normal operating hours. We are following the guidelines of the CDC and taking our own extra precautions that we have outlined below. This includes increased sanitation and safety protocols for our guests and our staff. As we take these important steps, we remain as positive as always.
- Philip Carter Winery staff members and guests should be aware of their own health and not report to work or visit the winery should they suspect any illness, or if they have been in close contact with others who are ill, including illness of family members, co-workers, and friends.
- Cleaning of our entire facility has been enhanced, both during and after the business hours, including sanitizing the bar after each tasting, disinfecting door handles, Ipads, phones, and other high traffic surface areas. Please bear with us as we make these changes. We understand that the smell of disinfectants can be a bit jarring in a winery setting but it is for your own safety.
- We have removed spittoons and cracker cups from the tasting room, and they will be replaced by a single-person disposable cup upon request. If you would like crackers please ask the staff member behind the bar for crackers in a clean cup.
- For our soup lunches, we will keep the soups and salads in the kitchen. If you are interested in them, ask a staff member and they would be happy to help. We ask that you dispose of all your dishes in our many trash cans.
- All of our glasses are sanitized in our high temperature, industrial dishwasher, however, in an effort to reduce the handling of used glasses and the transference of germs, our tastings will now include a glass for an additional $2.00 or be done in a disposable cup for the normal tasting price.
- If you are returning a glass you do not wish to take home, cutting boards, knives, etc., please take them to the register where a gloved staff member will take them and put them in our dishwasher. For the safety of you and our other guests please refrain from leaving dirty dishes on tables and bars.
At this time the safety and health of our guests and staff is of the utmost importance. Please keep this in mind when reviewing these changes. These are temporary safety measures put in place to protect our community. We thank you for your continued patronage and can’t wait to see you in Virginia Wine Country. Remember, this too shall pass!
Want to Stay Home but Need Your Wine?…
We Can Ship!
Don’t want to face a possible quarantine without a fully stocked wine shelf?
We have good news!
Shop our online storefront and get free shipping on 3 bottles or more!
We understand if, at this time, you do not feel comfortable visiting us in our tasting room. We hope that you will consider stocking up using our website to help get you through this time or any necessary quarantines. Discount applies automatically at checkout and cannot be combined with any other discounts. Shipping may not available to all states.
– or –
Purchase a Gift Card and Visit Us Later!
With many people choosing to stay home, many small businesses that rely on continued patronage will feel the effects of COVID-19. Many, like us, have the option to purchase gift cards that can be used at a later date. If you would prefer to stay home during this time, this is a great way to support your local small business and visit us later.
Check out the October issue of Warrenton Lifestyle Magazine to hear what’s new with local wineries
Warrenton Lifestyle – October 2018
The Strother Family has served as stewards of historic Valley View Farm for five generations and is proud to announce the recent partnership with Philip Carter Winery to open a wine and hard cider tasting room at the farm located in Delaplane, Virginia.
The Locavore Farm Market at Valley View Farm opens on the weekend of May 5th and 6th and will offer Virginia wines and hard ciders, seasonal pick-your-own fruits, organic vegetables from the Garden at Valley View, and other local farm products, including the Orchard Branch Collection. The Orchard Branch Collection is the finest available Virginia wine country art and furniture, handcrafted by local artisans from repurposed barrels, farm products, wood, and equipment from historic Valley View Farm and Philip Carter Winery. The Orchard Branch Collection will be available exclusively at Valley View Farm and Philip Carter Winery.
“We are thrilled to provide a complete destination experience for customers who appreciate locally produced products, who we refer to as, “Locavores”. Valley View Farm is considered one of the most spectacular landscapes in the northern Piedmont of Virginia. It is stunning. To be able to make this site available to Locavores to enjoy fine wine, Virginia ciders, pick-your-own fruits, and organically grown vegetables is nothing short of being able to create the perfect local farm fresh experience,” Philip Carter Strother, owner of Philip Carter Winery.
The farm is a 500-acre tract that is rich in history and, with one exception, has been in the same family for nearly three centuries. Located in the Crooked Run Valley in northern Fauquier County, the farm was patented in 1731 by James Ball of Lancaster County, a first cousin of Mary Washington, the mother of George Washington. Originally land of the Powhatan Indians, the Valley View tract was inherited in the early 18th century by Thomas, sixth Baron Fairfax. In the 1740s, it was first settled by several pioneer families that moved into the region, many of the original settlement structures built on the farm in the mid-1700s remain today.
In the mid-nineteenth century, Quaker pastor Henry Simpers purchased the property. He offered it as a stopover point for the Underground Railroad. During the Civil War, Simpers allowed armies from both sides to camp at the farm, including Stonewall Jackson’s troops who marched through on their way to the battle of Second Manassas.
Upon Simpers’ death in the 1920s, George Thomas Strother purchased the farm for his son Ed Strother who worked the property for sixty-one years, from 1926 to 1987. He bought and sold cattle, raised sheep and horses, and built a new manor house and red barn, which is the current location of the Locavore Farm Market today. Neighbor and famous general, George S. Patton, enjoyed foxhunting with Strother.
In 1997, Charles E. Strother, Jr. inherited the farm he had been helping his father run for the previous decade. Charles expanded the farm business, offering it as a retreat for day outings by business and religious groups. He also established a Pick-Your-Own attraction, formerly known as Virginia Perfection Orchard, featuring both pick-your-own fruits and vegetables.
In 2002, Valley View Farm inspired a two-year odyssey by internationally acclaimed artist Andrei Kushnir to document every aspect of this remarkably historic and beautifully serene portion of Fauquier County, Virginia. The culmination of Kushnir’s work, 50 landscape paintings were part of an exhibition at the Virginia Historical Society in 2004, Painted History: The Landscapes of Valley View Farm. The paintings, all created en plein air, depict one of the few family-owned farms in the Crooked Run Valley, just south of Sky Meadows State Park. According to the Virginia Historical Society’s Lora Robins Curator of Art, William Rasmussen, “the paintings underscore the idyllic nature of the area, as was apparent to Paul Mellon when he set aside the park acreage as a gift to the public.”
In 2016, Charles and his son, Philip Carter Strother, formed Strother Family Vineyards that currently operates a vineyard on 45 acres of the farm. Today, the story continues as father and son have collaborated once again in order to open the Locavore Farm Market & Tasting Room at Valley View Farm, in the red barn that Philip’s Grandfather built in the 1920s.
We invite you to come experience this historic property for yourself starting May 5, 2018.
Valley View Farm is located at 1550 Leeds Manor Road, Delaplane, VA 20144, www.valleyviewva.com.
The Locavore Farm Market and Tasting Room will be open initially Fridays and Saturdays, 10:00am to 7:00 pm and Sundays, 10:00am to 6pm. For more information, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.valleyviewva.com.
Saddle up, Philip Carter Winery joins forces with Solaris Stable & Yoga Studio to create a truly unique destination experience in Virginia’s wine and hunt country
Hume, VA–In the heart of Virginia’s Wine and Hunt Country, horse and wine enthusiasts alike will soon have something to cheer about. Starting this Memorial Day Weekend, patrons will be able to saddle up at Solaris Stable and ride horseback six (6) miles round trip to Philip Carter Winery where they can dismount at the winery to enjoy award winning wines while taking in the breathtaking views of the majestic Blue Ridge Mountains. Guests can also participate in a yoga session before the ride as an added option.
“We could not be more pleased with this partnership and the exceptional experience that it offers our mutual guests. It is unique and unlike anything available at any other Virginia winery. Solaris Stable provides the very best in equine instruction, and we are thrilled to pair our acclaimed Philip Carter Wine Experience with them to create a truly unique wine and hunt country destination for guests,” states Philip Carter Strother, owner of Philip Carter Winery.
Solaris Stable & Yoga Studio specializes in offering unique equestrian experiences. Wine Country Rides will enable patrons to enjoy the beauty of the northern Piedmont region from horseback and to taste wine made by one of the founding families of American wine. Philip Carter Winery boasts a picturesque vineyard and award-winning wines all located in the heart to Virginia wine and hunt country. This Memorial Day Weekend these exceptional experiences come together for the first time.
At Philip Carter, our history is wine. Our future is to promote a gracious way of living through wine, food & the arts. We invite you to escape with us up to Virginia’s wine and hunt country for a day of wine, horse riding and yoga. Cheers!
Solaris Stable and Yoga Studio is located at 5075 Stillhouse Road, Hume, VA 22639, www.SolarisStableAnd Yoga.com. Solaris Stable and Yoga Studio is open year-round. For more information, please email SolarisStableAndYoga@gmail.com or call (571) 969-9782.
Philip Carter Winery is located at 4366 Stillhouse Road, Hume, VA 22639, www.pcwinery.com. Philip Carter is open seven days a week, year-round with extended hours in the summer. For more information, please email email@example.com or call (540) 364-1203.