Wedding and Special Event Frequently Asked Questions

What are your Rates?  

It is best to contact us for current rates, we are always running specials.

Can Cleve Hall be used in lieu of a site fee?

There can be a Fee for just Cleve Hall at an hourly rate (2-hr. min.) that includes exclusive use of Cleve Hall Room only; maximum guest limit: 75. Best to call for current rates.

Do you allow beer and mixed drinks?

We allow for beer, though a special Banquet License is required, which you may take out personally or may be taken out through your caterer. Hard liquor is considered on a case by case basis.

Can we bring champagne?

If champagne is desired, Philip Carter Winery must provide it.

Can we use our own caterer?

Yes, provided your caterer meets the approval of Philip Carter Winery. We do have a list of preferred caterers who can provide full service with whom you would make all desired arrangements.

Could your full service caterer provide other than food, e.g., tent rental and set up?

Our full service caterer will not be available for the rental of tables, chairs, tents, etc. These arrangements can be made directly with Philip Carter Winery.

How much wine should we buy?

We suggest two cases, one red and one white for 50-60 guests as a starting point. Additional wine can be purchased at a 15% discount.

Can both a wedding and reception be held?

Yes. There are several ceremony and reception site possibilities.

How many guests can be accommodated?

Events are limited to a maximum of 150 guests. Philip Carter Winery can accommodate 75 guests for inside seating. Events with attendance between 75-150 guests require an enclosed tent.

When do we need to sign the contract?

Philip Carter Winery cannot hold the date until a signed contract and deposit are in hand.

Do I need a Wedding Planner?

An event with 60 guests or more requires that you have a professional wedding planner for the day of your wedding. Philip Carter Winery will have staff present at your event, but we do not act as a coordinator. For events under 60, a friend or family member may act as a point of contact for the bride and groom and the timeline for the event.

Can I have a live band or DJ?

Live music and other entertainment is the permissible and must comply with the laws, statutes, ordinances and regulations in Virginia and Fauquier County and must be familiar with the Philip Carter Winery site.

Do you have any vendors or services you recommend?

We have multiple vendors, full service caterers and photographers that we have worked with and we can recommend. Upon request, we can provide a full list of recommend vendors.


Please contact us or call (540)364-1203 with inquiries, questions or if you need more information.


Schedule a private tour