Wine & Food Pairing From the Inn at Vineyards Crossing
Recommended wine and food pairings, as well as unique recipes and culinary delights created and written by Chef Randy Beattie of the Inn at Vineyards Crossing.
Beef Medallions and Mushrooms in Red Wine Sauce
with 2014 Falconwood Red
- 1 (10 -12 ounce) beef tenderloin or 1 (10 -12 ounce) beef medallions
- coarse salt
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter
- 1 -2 large shallot, minced (about 1/3 cup)
- 3⁄4 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 tablespoon flour
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- Start by cutting the tenderloin into 6 equal pieces, then flatten each piece using a mallet or heavy weight until each piece is 1/4 inch thick.
- Season with the salt and pepper.
- In a medium skillet, melt a tablespoon of butter over med-high heat.
- Add the beef, and saute until outside is brown but inside is still very pink, about 2 minutes on each side.
- After browning remove each tenderloin from pan and keep warm.
- Add remaining butter to skillet, and when melted, add mushrooms and shallots.
- Saute until tender, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle the sugar over the mixture, and cook until deep brown, about 4 minutes longer.
- Add vinegar, garlic, herbs, and flour and stir one minute, until liquid is absorbed.Add broth and wine, and bring to a boil.
- Cook until liquid is thickened and reduced to about 1/2 cup.
- Return beef to the pan, and heat through, about 1 minute.
- Arrange beef on plate and spoon sauce and mushrooms over.