Wine & Food: 2014 Shirley Chardonnay
Wine & Food Pairing From the Inn at Vineyards Crossing
Recommended wine and food pairings, as well as unique recipes and culinary delights created and written by Chef Randy Beattie of the Inn at Vineyards Crossing.
Monkfish in Tomato-Garlic Sauce
with the 2014 Shirley Chardonnay
- Eight 6-ounce monkfish fillets about 2 inches thick
- ¼ cup plus 3 table spoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 heads of garlic plus 4 parge cloves, peeled and very thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a large skillet, warm 1/4 cup of the olive oil. Add the sliced garlic and cook slowly over very low heat, shaking the skillet, until the garlic is deep golden, 15 minutes.
- Remove about 1/4 cup of garlic slices to a plate and reserve. Add the paprika to the garlic in the skillet and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes and cook over moderately high heat for 1 minute. Add the water and simmer until the sauce has reduced to 1 1/2 cups, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a very large skillet, heat the 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Season the fish with salt and pepper. Cook over high heat until browned on the bottom, 2 minutes. Turn the fish, transfer to the oven, and roast until just cooked through, 15 minutes.
- Transfer the fish to a large, warmed platter. Pour any juices from the skillet into the sauce and simmer for 2 minutes. Spoon the sauce onto plates and set the fish on top. Scatter the fried garlic over the fish and serve right away.